Only 10 minutes by train from Amsterdam Sloterdijk and 15 minutes from Centraal Amsterdam, Haarlem city is a perfect beauty. Similar but at the same time unique to Amsterdam, is full of small streets, markets, and sightseeing areas that will make the perfect add-on to your trip to Amsterdam.
I went on a Saturday morning taking the 11.19 am train from Amsterdam Sloterdijk arriving in Haarlem at 11.49 am. yes! Only 10 minutes and € 3.80 (from Centraal it will be € 4.50 and 15 minutes). Keep in mind Corona restrictions are still applying and you must be aware of the 1.5m distance on the station, and wear a mask all-time on the train.
There are some places I recommend you to visit while in Haarlem:
1. The Grote Kerk or St.-Bavokerk. Gothic style and the main attraction of Haarlem in the middle of the Grote Mark. You can visit it every day from Monday to Saturday and there are guided tours on Saturdays only. The entrance is € 3, and the guided tour is € 7.
2. Molen De Adriaan. This was for me the most impressive of the ones I've seen in The Netherlands. Also because you have the Spaarne river surrounding it. There is a good restaurant close by, you can even see it in the picture. In this place, we had a coffee to start the day. If you are coming from the train station is about 15 minutes walking. If you want to visit it, the entrance is € 5.50 and it's advisable to buy tickets online.
3. Walk along the Spaarne. I have already talked about how beautiful is the view of the Molen de Adriaan with the Spaarne river in the front, but be curious, cross the bridge, and walk with the river at your side. In the first picture, you'll see a building that was surprisingly more inclined than the others. In the second picture, Damstraat, the direct street that takes you to the Grote Markt or city center.
4. DeDAKKAS. From this point and before you head into the center you can walk to DeDAKKAS, an incredible restaurant located in a rooftop overlooking the city. I personally recommend the veggie sticks with hummus as a snack. I took this picture in the parking space below the restaurant, as a background, you can see some of the tables overlooking the city.
5. I'm definitely leaving outside this list amazing places that I'll visit really soon, as Jopenkerk for the experience to drink beer in a 13th-century church or the Market that is something you can't avoid and will like a lot. But I must advise you to walk and get lost. Haarlem is amazing for walking around and find colorful areas, secret gardens, benches, and paintings around it. Explore and have fun! In the end, go to Jopenkerk for a beer, cross the street to pack your favorites at Albert Hein (supermarket), and back to Amsterdam.
Hope you liked this quick visit to Haarlem, and if you want to walk with a professional photographer by your side capturing all your memories, don't hesitate to contact me.
Have an amazing day from Amsterdam,
See you next time,
Joanna, your Amsterdam photographer